[log in to unmask]">
Library Associates Companies (LAC) LAC seeks
candidates for the position of Project
Archivist / Cataloger to work on site at an ongoing project in New
Orleans, LA. Working with both restored and undamaged materials ,
the Project Archivist / Cataloger oversees the remaining Katrina recovery
process for archives and will create MARC records in Voyager and OCLC for all
processed collections. In addition, the incumbent in this position will
design an EAD implementation plan and will ensure that all existing and new
MARC records conform to necessary standards for EAD cross-walking and
This is a list of primary responsibilities and is not intended to be all-inclusive:
• Analyze the level and quality of existing MARC records for archival materials.
• Review and assess finding aids and other access tools for all processed collections.
• Work in conjunction with the client to develop a workable cataloging timetable and priorities.
• Create original MARC records in OCLC and Voyager to full level for the description of archival materials ensuring the compliance of data with EAD data fields and crosswalks.
• Provide the client with EAD crosswalks and an implementation proposal.
• Potentially create more detailed finding aids for processed archival in collections with minimal finding aids.
• Oversee the archival processing tasks associated both with the Katrina Recovery Project and with the cataloging of collections.
• Keep the Project Manager informed of all issues relating to the archives piece of the project.
• Participate in the management and oversight of elements of the Katrina Recovery Project.
• Supervise Archival Cataloging Technician and other archival project staff.
• Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) from an ALA-accredited program.
• Demonstrated knowledge of current trends, standards, and practices of archival services in academic libraries.
• Original and copy cataloging of archival materials mandatory.
• Experience working with MARC bibliographic and holdings records mandatory
• Strong knowledge of Encoded Archival Descriptions (EAD) mandatory.
• Experience with physical processing of archives or access provision mandatory.
• Experience working in Integrated Library Systems, with a strong preference for Voyager.
• Understanding of Document Type Definitions (DTD).
• Ability to work effectively in a deadline-driven production environment with changing priorities.
• Supervisory experience.
• Experience creating EAD cross-walks strongly preferred.
• Supervisory experience preferred.
• Knowledge of ISO/NISO, metadata, and W3C standards.
• Two years professional experience in archives at an institution of higher education.
• For immediate consideration please email resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Recruiter at [log in to unmask].
• Please use “Project Archivist / Cataloger #1263” as the subject line of your email.
Library Associates Companies is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that values diversity in the workforce.
Patty De Anda Gates
Communications & Projects Associate
323.302.9439 - direct
323.852.1083 - main
323.852.1093 - fax
Patty on Facebook
LAC / Library Associates Companies, 6500 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 2240, Los Angeles, CA 90048