From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education & training [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Judy Weedman
Sent: Friday, 27 November 2009 4:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [eduCAT] LIS Phd online?

SJSU SLIS has one.  It does require 2 weeks in residence per year -- one
in early August and one at ALISE in January.  It's a cooperative venture
with Queensland University of Technology in Australia.  The degree is from
QUT and their highly regarded faculty are deeply involved along with the
SJSU faculty, but the August residencies are in San Jose.

I can't claim we're terribly strong in cataloging/metadata, unfortunately. We lost our primary cataloging faculty member a couple years ago.  We're
pretty strong in information retrieval, though, which is closely related.

If you want to look at more information, it can be found at
http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/gatewayphd/

We start a cohort each fall; the first was in 2008, the second in 2009. It's specifically designed for people who will keep their full-time,
demanding jobs, and go half-speed through the PhD; it takes 7 years to
complete.  If people want to take a leave from their positions, it's
possible to move faster, depending on how long a leave it is.

        Judy