I suppose I'm in a different situation. We require students to take either cataloging, indexing, or EDAM. The state of Louisiana requires cataloging for school library certification. All of which means that the vast majority of my students in the introductory class have no interest in cataloging as a career.

I can't imagine trying to teach AACR2 and RDA at the same time. I have no plans to teach RDA until it is released for use, and then that is all I will teach. As I say, my students aren't, for the most part, going to be cataloging as a career.

Presently, I barely even touch on FRBR in the intro class; I use the terms "work" and "item" throughout, but haven't attempted to introduce "expression" or "manifestation." The grades on the midterm, where they are required to define "work" and "item," strongly suggest that going beyond that would only confuse them further.

I try to do more in the advanced course, but even in that class, the students are interested in learning the skills that they will apply on the job in the very near future. However, I truly believe that if the students have a clear understanding of such current concepts as "uniform title," "analytics," and "added entry for related work," and how to handle serials, they will be prepared to learn RDA on the job.
Suzanne M. Stauffer, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Louisiana State University
275 Coates Hall