Greetings,

I would tend to agree with the approach suggested by David Lowe here. I would guess that you can make it work either way but the incorporate by reference approach seems like it would be simpler and less likely to cause headaches. Easier to troubleshoot, anyway.

Regards,

Stephen

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 8:25 PM, David Lowe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Chris--
I've thought about this, too, and although I have no experiential
background to share, and although the P5 version of TEI is supposed to
be designed to allow embedding within METS (see, for example
http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/P5/ ), still I would think the way to go
for content of scale would be to keep TEI external and point to its
structures out from the METS structMap, as you would point to other
representations of the information object's content, like page images or
plain OCR'd text.

Does this jive with anyone else's practice or at least thinking?  (I
think in terms of monographs, but there might be great reasons for doing
things another way.)
--DBL

-----Original Message-----
From: Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Schwartz, Christine
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 2:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [METS] METS and TEI?

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on the integration of METS and TEI documents. Is
it best to integrate TEI documents within a METS document, or keep the
TEI external and just link out to it?

We are at the beginning stages of planning METS/TEI, so there are no
legacy practices that we have to consider. Right now we use METS, Simple
DC in the mdWrap, and MIX.

Thanks,

Chris

Christine Schwartz
Metadata Librarian
Princeton Theological Seminary Libraries
http://www.catalogingfutures.com