This reminds me of the "grandfather clock" thingamajig I saw at the
British library. It is a large board with rollers that the tape goes
through making a serpentine. The tape travels very slowly and can be
heated or chilled as needed. They made this for some agfa tapes that
stuck. I have never had a 3m 176 make trouble but this sounds like many
50's 60's tapes I transfered that were of American origin. One squealed
so bad we had to soak it with silicone. I am wondering it there is a
benefit to slow winding under a cold air blast, like an air conditioning
duct pointing at the transport. My a/c/ has a setting for drying the
air. Very cold air forced out and the rh drops very fast..
Shai