Bill,

You may be dealing with too many suggestions at this point, but I'd
like to suggest an interface with an external converter. They tend to
have less noise than an interface with the ADCs/DACs inside the
computer. Some might suggest this is minimal, but if you can afford
it, I would find something external. As a Mac guy, I'm more familiar
with offerings on that side of the fence. However, I personally use
the M-Audio Delta 1010, and would also suggest looking into the fine
offerings by RME.

Ivan Kawaler