The gray haze might be severe groove damage  caused by playing
with a heavy tracking tone arm and a badly worn or chipped  stylus .

Only an inspection under a microscope such as is used on disc  mastering
lathes can diagnose the situation accurately . It has been my  experience that
this kind of damage occurrs while someone is trying to listen to  the
record and wondering why it sounds so bad . Then they look at the record and  see
that grey haze in the area that has been played and immediately they stop
playing the record . Therefore the damage ends abruptly and the rest of the
groove is fine . There is no cure for this damage .

I will be glad to  examine this record if you can send it to me for
inspection .

John  Eberle
AMERICANA CD MASTERING
313 EAST COLLEGE STREET SUITE 3A