> Has anyone had success in getting dats to rip from this
> operation. I tried with several sdt's after changing the
> firmware and no luck at all. Vdat recognized a tape loaded
> but said it has no audio (didn't read it at all, sort of
> an automatic message) and would only let me eject the
> tape. Or it wouldn't find the sdt but still let me eject
> tape .etc.
> Any suggestions?
> Shai

There is a recently created Yahoo group for discussion of
DAT extraction
(http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/datheads2wav/). One
member, Wayne Hoxsie, has created a new software tool called
WinDAT, which you can find in the groups file section.
I never got past the demo stage with VDAT. Didn't wnat to
pay the $100 for the full version, and I found a free
program called DAT2WAV, which I had limited success with,
after a painful configuration process. Wayne's tool seems to
work as well or better than DAT2WAV, and when I have some
time eventually, I'm going to experiment with it some more.

-Matt Sohn