Hi Richard,

I would be interested in exploring our different experiences with LAST
lubricants. Perhaps we should compare findings off list.
Starting in the early 90ís, I experimented with a number of lubricants and
application methods until I discovered the Last Factory. Some of those
lubricants did work well but the resulting mess and possible harm to the
equipment seemed to be not worth the results. Consequently, I never published
my findings. I would agree that the majority of squeal problems occur on tapes
recorded at slower speeds however I have also encountered the problem on music
masters recorded at higher speeds. Perhaps I should have noted in my post that
the example on your website did not utilize a standard audio tape deck and the
speed was quadrupled. Iíve always admired your work because you think outside
the box but with a scientific approach. My concern was the possible oversight
of the details regarding your particular procedure and some would think it just
fine to try a 3-3/4ips tape run at (for example) 15ips and I wanted to point
out the possible pitfalls.

Anymore, Iíve pretty much come to the conclusion: ďIf it ainít Scotch 206, Bake
it!í Of course, that excludes acetate but I have found that stabilizing the
oxide solves a number of problems right off and polyester doesnít seem to be
bothered by the process.

Cheers!

Corey Bailey
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering