From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ethan Gruber
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Adding EAD to the 'layer of discovery'?

Blacklight does.  Blacklight indexes all MARC records in the UVA library catalog, all EAD guides, all TEI documents, and pretty much everything else.  I'm not entirely familiar with the cataloging process at UVA, but I'm fairly certain that the EAD guide is a different resource than the MARC record itself, so therefore there are two entries for the "Jefferson Calendar," or the papers of Thomas Jefferson.  One is the finding aid and the other is the physical manuscript collection.  That's perhaps not the best practice, but that's a cataloging issue more so than a Blacklight issue.

Ethan