From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education & training on behalf of Mary Miller
Sent: Mon 12/7/2009 12:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [eduCAT] PhDs for cataloging instructors, or not?

Christine Schwartz's query about online PhDs led to an interesting conversation about whether one should earn a PhD if one is interested in teaching cataloging.  Several folks commented that PhD programs in LIS are research-oriented and that someone interested in teaching might do better to explore options for teaching as an adjunct, rather than obtaining a PhD.

This seems like good, practical advice, but I have some questions/concerns related to that approach. I've been reading a lot about education for catalogers, and one concern raised by many folks is that reliance on adjunct instructors could diminish the place of cataloging even farther in the curriculum. This is not because adjuncts wouldn't be good teachers, but because they wouldn't have the status of full-time faculty when it comes to curriculum development for the LIS program, advocating for more cataloging courses, and so on. Thoughts?

Mary Miller, C. A.
Peabody Awards Collection Archivist
[log in to unmask]   (706) 542-4789
"A Peabody is like an Oscar wrapped in an Emmy
inside a Pulitzer.  It's the turducken of awards."
--Stephen Colbert, 2007 Peabody Award winner.