From: Discussion List for issues related to cataloging & metadata education & training on behalf of Trickey, Keith
Sent: Wed 12/9/2009 2:15 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [eduCAT] PhDs for cataloging instructors, or not?

Just a thought
As one of the few remaining teachers of a core cataloguing module in a UK postgraduate LIS degrees. i would make a few comments:
I have been teaching cataloguing for over 20 years
I have  an MA
I spend more time delivering cataloguing training to professional groups than delivering cataloguing as a part of th ecurriculum (as a result of this I changed from full time to part time staff at the university)
My teaching has evoloved in response to the changes in the training requirements and information gathered from training particpants
I have been a part time Ph D student for too many years - research time being squeezed by the day job and now having no allowance  and more teaching

I suppose my major concern is about the relevance of the subject of the Ph D to teaching cataloguing. How many mainstream research topics - builit round the major tools used in cataloguing are there?

Quality cataloguing is the key to knowledge discovery - which as a sudent of 19th century American cataloging  practice - was seen as a key concern in a democratic socieity - and for me that is still the case.

Best wishes

Keith

Keith V. Trickey
Senior Lecturer