Hi all,

We have a query re the use of the top-level "location" element in an application profile.

Is it "legal" to use the "location" element as a stand-alone element -- that is, not as a container for a subelement such as "url" or "physicalLocation" etc.? That is:

<mods:location>British Library</mods:location>

The reason this is under consideration is a technical restraint we are facing that prohibits nested structures.

None of us has been able to point to any example of this type of use. All sample records we have encountered use "location" as a container element.

And we are divided over how to interpret what we read in the "rules" and "guidelines" on LOC's MODS pages.

We would appreciate clarification on this.

Many thanks,
Neil Godfrey

Singapore National Library