On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 1:16 PM,  "Rex Anderson" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hmmmmm. �This article is interesting, but it also calls up the cynic in me.
> http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/report_indian-scientists-detect-signs-of-life-on-moon_1322785

Amino acids form in space - we've detected them as components in
clouds of interstellar dust. How are the amino acids found in lunar soil
different enough to make us suspect they're the product of life? (On the
other hand, maybe the amino acids found in space are the product of
life?)

http://news.discovery.com/space/have-you-heard-the-one-about-life-on-mars.html

So even when we think we found signs of (past) life, it may turn out that
there are non-life processes that produce the same signs. The only thing
that will settle a question like that is coming across a living organism.

And even then folks are bound to argue about where it came from.
--
  Helge Moulding
  mailto:[log in to unmask]                        Just another guy