Jan,

Calculating maximum cable length is a complex task and is never
accurate. There really is no brick wall in analog--it is just how
much degradation is acceptable--but digital is another story and it
has brick walls.

Two parameters affect analog signal transmission in voltage audio systems:
(a) The capacitive reactance of the cable creates a voltage divider
with the source impedance of the microphone, creating high-frequency roll-off
(b) The capacitive loading of the cable may be beyond the current
drive capability of the source's output driver. This creates high
frequency distortions as well as roll-off.

With normal professional balanced audio connections and voltage
distribution, especially if the driver source impedance is around 60
ohms, driving 100 m or more of typical cable is easily possible.

Higher impedance circuits, and especially unbalanced ones, should be
kept short -- typically in the neighbourhood of 3 m or less.

Phono cartridge connections and Nakamichi cassette machine unbalanced
outputs are especially sensitive to cable loading.

For some additional insight into cable effects and a definition of
voltage audio distribution, please see my paper on the subject:
http://richardhess.com/be/aes-80.htm

You might be better off leaving the A-D converters in the control
room and running digital signals to the computers (AES/EBU either on
110 ohm twisted pair or 75 ohm coax). If I were re-building my
transfer suite, I would consider MADI and local converters for each
machine. While it is more expensive than wires and patchbays, the
price differential is narrowing.

Cheers,

Richard