On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> The last really loud show I went to was Johnny Winter playing in  small
> venue in upstate NY. I was very thankful for earplugs because it allowed me
> to get right up on the edge of the stage and watch a somewhat diminished but
> still competent Johnny do his stuff with that funky little guitar he plays.
> His blaring amp was right next to his chair, but the earplugs cut the blare
> right out so I could hear his guitar work. My friend who was foolish and
> didn't wear earplugs said his ears were still ringing a week later.
>
> I'll put $.02 in as a dentist and a long term snare drummer in a bagpipe
band.  The dental thing and old age have pretty much wasted my high
frequency response, but I have tried really hard to wear ear protection
while playing with the band.  I have used several different versions of the
compressible foam ear plugs, to good effect.  I and a lot of pipe band
people use an ear protector from the Etymotic company called the ETY.  It is
a step above the foam ear plugs and is in the $10-15 range.  I always bring
a bag of extra foam plugs to indoor practices and performances, and push
real hard for anyone who will (can) listen, especially the young and
foolish, to use them.  Tom-you are absolutely right-I went to a Sting
concert many years ago, and used foam protectors.  It was incredibly
enjoyable to actually hear the words.

--
Frank B Strauss, DMD