Here is a cynical view of the matter:

I'd submit that there is no financial incentive to avoid dynamic over-
compression; in fact, it may help business, at least in the short-
term. To wit: if you purchase a fatiguing CD or MP3, your brain may
be soon telling you that you are essentially unsatisfied, and may
therefore go out and buy another piece of music. In other words: it
is not in the interest of record companies to have product that
consumers listen to again and again; they would rather have you
purchase new product constantly. I compare this to the food
industry's over-salty, over-sweet offerings. At first your taste-buds
are over-excited, but soon thereafter you are hungry again and need
more food. It has worked great as a business model for fast food
chains, although in that market the tide appears to be turning.

Marcos

Marcos Sueiro Bal
Masterdisk
718.902.7441