When it comes to noise reduction software, you get what you pay for. Cedar
NR-5 costs, but it works. Most, if not all, of the other stuff is worse than
useless.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Raphaël Parejo-Coudert" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:21 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] SV: [ARSCLIST] Adding reverb to old 78's

Hello alls!

I'm a french Ethnomusicologist who lives and works in North Spain, and I
also work on sound restoration of old ethnographic shellac recordings.

I know this pernicious tentation which conduce to "emphatise" old
recordings made in old times where no echoes or reverberation where used.

I also disagree all type of "modern sound change" for this type of
recordings.

I'm actually working on restoration of three old shellac records of
Navarra Jotas (the first recording of jotas) and I have a lot of
problems. A lot of the "noise" have the same frequences ranges that the
voices.

I would very grateful to Harry explain us what "computer application
that can actually detect what is music and what is surface noise and
completely delete the latter without touching the former" ?

I've tried with Bias SoundSoap Pro 2 denoiser, and also iZotope
restoration suite. And I have medium results.

Thank you for your help and answers.

--
R. PAREJO-COUDERT

Ethnomusicologue / Ethnomusicologist / Etnomusicólogo

Anthropologie visuelle et sonore
Visual and Sound Anthropology
Antropología visual y sonora

Archives sonores - Archivos sonoros - Sound Archives