From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Dear Darren,

you are venturing into a subject area taught in library school: cataloguing.
National naming conventions are not at all easy; for instance it is not
uncommon to see names from Italy written in the reverse order lastname-
firstname, like in Hungary. It is not a language but a national question.
This is compounded when you are supposed--at least in official documents--to
provide some family link, like husband's last name or mother's last name or
father's last name (patronymic). Double-barrelled names, like mine, are
interpreted quite differently across the globe.

It is also very age-dependent, and even with sound recordings spanning only
roughly 120 years there may be an influence. I am sure the IASA cataloguing
rules might help get the priorities right, and then some library science
textbooks. Present-day interest in geneaology may also have provided
handbooks.

Over the years I have had good use of the following book, which does mention
some of the above on a nation by nation basis:

Allen, C.G.: 'A Manual of European Languages for Librarians', Bowker, London
1975.

To someone already familiar with some languages and with a basic grasp of
grammar, this is a fascinating book that permits you to navigate (and
catalogue, incidentally) a lot of books in strange and stranger languages. I
would like to quote the section of Scope from the introduction (p. 1):

"It is doubtless a mark of prudence not to attempt either to order or to
catalogue books in languages with which one is not thoroughly familiar, and
to refuse to answer any enquiries concerning them. A critical study, in the
company of the appropriate experts, of international bibliographies or the
catalogues of wide-ranging libraries would convince the doubtful that any
other course is certain to lead to the perpetration of those linguistic
howlers whose existence is of no practical importance, but whose belated
discovery is a source of unreasonable mortification. But there must be many
libraries where such prudence is out of the question: even without the
necessary expert knowledge one must accept and deal with the books for the
sake of completeness, and risk the errors. It is with the hope of minimising
these errors and making the adventuere somewhat less hazardous that this
manual is written."

To your precise question: I would say that Cordio is the lastname, because
Carlo would be so unusual as a lastname.

Kind regards,

George