You missed my point. It is not about formats nor is it about consumer choices. It is about the elevation of mediocrity and the corporatization of a field that was once led by people whose consuming passion was music all else followed from that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 15:01:44
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Media Timeline - Death of music business

The music business is not in death spiral because of any format... it is dying because they fail to grasp the concept that  people/consumer wants to pick and choose what they listen to.
The iPod/iTunes facilitated this... the consumer can pick and choose and doesnt have to buy  a dozen filler selections on a cd for $14.95 when they can  buy the one song they like for 99.
The format has noting to do with the sales model.... its how that product is sold.. not the box its in.
dnelson