Dear Jan,

I respectfully disagree. If you want the transfers from 78s to "sound
somewhat better", you can either do what Marston and Obert-Thorn are doing:
get the best-sounding originals and transfer them under optimal current
conditions, or add something that was not present in the original. Adding
reverb to them is applying something to them that wasn't there to begin
with. It will not make them "sound somewhat better". All it will do is make
them sound more "reverby" and less distinct. Imagine Mengelberg's
Concertgebouw recordings with added reverb. Would that be really better? It
would be a thousand times worse. The Concertgebouw (I'm talking about the
building here, not the orchestra) has wonderful acoustics, and a good
conductor will gauge his performances partially based on that fact ("decay
time", etc.). Adding reverb would make a mockery out of a conductor's
considered performance.

How about a computer application that can actually detect what is music and
what is surface noise and completely delete the latter without touching the
former? Now, THAT would make them sound somewhat better!

-Larry