From: Shai Drori [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 01:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT ripping

Are you telling us that you're using a portable consumer dat for archival use? That does it, "OFF WITH HIS HEAD" ;-)Paul G Turney wrote:> WELL IF YOU DROP TOOLS NEEDED TO TRANSFER ARCHIVES YOU'LL SOON RUN OUT OF POSSIBLE WAYS TO TRANSFER. THAT'S A RIDICULOUS COMMENT!>>>>> -----Original Message-----> From: Parker Dinkins [mailto:[log in to unmask]]> Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:53 AM> To: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT ripping>> Perhaps the earlier PCM-70xx series had a better transport than the laterversions. They were certainly different.The PCM-7050 could only be purchased from Sony directly when we got ours;the PCM-2500 never got much use here because the audio was so bad at 44.1kHzsample rate. The PCM-2000 had a tracking control, a somewhat curious gesture on Sony'spart.My experience with DAT was mainly for delivery of CD production masters to apressing plant, and in that regard we ***never*** had a failure with severalhundred projects. This was a special arrangement that we worked out with a major US plant,using a DAT with striped with 30Hz NDF time code, together with documented,frame accurate start of track marks. The PCM-7050 supplied clock and wouldchase lock to a Sonic Solutions workstation. Worked like a charm and savedalmost $100,000 over purchase of a 1630 system.Most of the stories about DAT media playing on one machine and not anotherare about poor alignment, specifically the use of poor quality machines tobegin with. The Sony consumer portable DAT machines are notorious in thelatter regard, and I don't know why people even tried to repair them. Dropthem once and forget about them.-- Parker DinkinsMastering + Restorationhttp://masterdigital.comon 1/21/10 3:18 AM US/Central, Paul G Turney wrote:> Further to this, you will find that some mechanisms perform better than> others, the PCM 2500 for example will play tapes that the 7000 series won't.>>