Sticking with a traditional <dsc> structure for born digital materials
doesn't mean you have to impose a Box/Folder structure. You can define
<container> as broadly as you want, since you have control over the list of
values for the attribute @type. At the Southern Historical Collection at
UNC-Chapel Hill, the controlled list of terms for @type contains over 30
values. While "box" and "folder" are two choices, other choices include
"digfolder" (Digital Folder) and "digitem" (Digital Item). Materials in a
Digital Folder/Item are only available digitally, through the finding aid.

Either a <dao> or a <daogrp> may occur within any of your <c#> components, a
<did> or a <scopecontent>. So you've got a lot of encoding options within
your components. At the Southern Historical Collection, if there is a
digitized version of an analog item, historically a <daogrp> has been
encoded in the component's <scopecontent>:

<c03>
      <did>
       <container type="folder">5</container>
      </did>
      <scopecontent>
        <daogrp>
          <daodesc>
Charles Pettigrew, 3 October 1795</p>
          </daodesc>
          <daoloc role="thumbnail" href="
http://www.lib.unc.edu/mss/inv_images/das1.gif" title="Documenting
the
             American South"/>
        <daoloc role="reference" href="
http://docsouth.unc.edu/true/mss01-03/mss01-03.html"/>
        </daogrp>
      </scopecontent>
</c03>

If it were born digital material, however, the same could be encoded like
this (assuming it was only one item in this case instead of a folder of
items with only one digitized, as was the case in the above example):

<c03>
      <did>
       <container type="digitem">5</container>
      </did>
        <daogrp>
          <daoloc role="thumbnail" href="
http://www.lib.unc.edu/mss/inv_images/das1.gif" title="Documenting
the
             American South"/>
         <daoloc role="reference" href="
http://docsouth.unc.edu/true/mss01-03/mss01-03.html"/>
        </daogrp>
        <scopecontent>
3 October 1795</p>
         </scopecontent>
</c03>

You could have the <daogrp> within the <did> and still validate.

But you don't have to use the <dao>. For example, the Southern Historical
Collection encodes all of the oral history interviews that are available
digitally in the Southern Oral History Program finding aid (which contains
over 4,000 oral histories!) with <extref>. Some of these have been
digitized, some were born digital. If an interview is available digitally,
the text in <container> is encoded in <extref> and appears as a link,
leading to the audio and/or transcript of the interview in ContentDM:

<c04>
      <did>
           <container type="interview">
                   <extref href="
http://dc.lib.unc.edu/linktothisinterview.com">A-0230</extref>
           </container>
Political scientist</unittitle>
     </did>
</c04>

One issue to consider with materials that you are making available in
digital format only is how to best present that information to the user
within the finding aid. People might be used to collections being available
either fully are partially in digital format, in addition to being available
in the reading room. They may also be familiar with a digitized collection
being available only digitally (preservation of the originals, etc). What
they are not familiar with is parts of collection that is otherwise
available only physically being available only digitally. That's a bit
mind-boggling. But we'll be dealing with it more and more as born digital
materials start flooding in alongside our coffee-stained subject files. Are
you going to add a note of some sort to each component that's digital only,
warning patrons? If so, will your note be an <accessrestrict> or something
else? Will you instead alert users at the top of these finding aids that
portions of the collection are only available digitally? Say nothing and
hope they don't notice there's weirdness going on? Or when born digital
materials come in, are we making analog access copies and not even
delivering them digitally because we don't yet have the mechanisms in place?
There's only so many <dao> you can encode by hand before you need a better
system.

--
Joyce Chapman
NCSU Libraries Fellow