From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stanislav Pejsa
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Adding EAD to the 'layer of discovery'?

Hi Michele,
The Center for Jewish History is a consortium of archives and special libraries, and at this moment we are in a transition phase  when some Partners are digitizing their complete collections like the one of Joseph Roth. However, the pace of transition is uneven. We are also working on new stylesheet that should take these digitization efforts into account. The Roth's finding aid is stretching the old stylesheet a bit.

Unfortunately, we have not found a way yet in DigiTool to link back to the finding aid, but the new stylesheet will open a new window for the digital content, so that users won't lose the finding aid when they click on the object. Furthermore, the stylesheet will provide a linking text that will be customizable, so the title won't be the hyperlinked. The customizable linking text can appear either in the attribute title of the dao element or in the daodesc/p.

This is the snippet we use as an example for encoding links to digital objects (mainly) in DigiTool

<c02 level="file">
<did>
<container type="box">1</container>
<container type="folder">5</container>
<unittitle>Obituaries</unittitle>
<unitdate>1892</unitdate>
</did>
<dao actuate="onrequest" show="new" href="xxxxxx" role="dgtl" linktype="simple" />
</c02>

The href attribute contains a pid (permanent identifier in DigiTool) and the attribute role will invoke a parameter that contains a full path to the resource (in that way we believe we may minimize typos - we could also simply use the full path in the href attribute). Since there is no attribute title or subelement daodesc in this example the stylesheet will provide linking text "View item". The stylesheet, however, is still work in progress.

The following finding aid is the test example:
http://digital.cjh.org/webclient/DeliveryManager?pid=476347

Best, Standa