Hello Dirk,

Yes, you are exactly right, that the syntax is:

<ead xmlns="urn:isbn:1-931666-22-9" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
     audience="external"
     xsi:schemaLocation="urn:isbn:1-931666-22-9 http://www.loc.gov/ead/ead.xsd">

The question of whether the server can handle it is a legitimate concern, but luckily our servers have handled the hits for this schema and our numerous others with little effort.  In the past LC has encountered problems when using URIs directly to W3C schemas, and at times the W3C would cut off block our IPs from access until the matter was resolved.  This isn't a concern for the EAD XML Schema.

Caching the schema in your local environment is a good practice to ensure that the schema is available to you in case of a network outage.  Oxygen XML Editor, for example, offers a validation utility that caches the schema on the first validation attempt, and calls against the local stored copy for subsequent validation attempts.  Most importantly, doing this doesn't require any change in the xsi:schemaLocation URI.

Hope this helps,
Clay

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Clay Redding
Digital Project Coordinator
Network Development & MARC Standards Office
Library of Congress
LA308, Mail Stop 4402
101 Independence Ave. SE
Washington, DC 20540
202-707-7196
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> <[log in to unmask]> 01/14/10 9:28 AM >>>
Hello,

I have heard it say that one is supposed to declare an EAD schema like
more or less so:

<ead xmlns="urn:isbn:1-931666-22-9" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
     audience="external"
     xsi:schemaLocation="urn:isbn:1-931666-22-9 http://www.loc.gov/[...]/[...].xsd">

Supposedly the loc.gov url, rather than a local uri, should be used in
order to discourage institutions from using their home-brewed, ever so
slightly moderated, versions. Can someone confirm that the LOC servers
are capable of handling all the hits that this wil entail? In that case
the real url probably could be published.

Cheers,

Dirk van Laanen