From: PREMIS Implementors Group Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Averkamp, Shawn
Sent: 25 January 2010 17:43
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PIG] Representations in PREMIS/METS

The University of Alabama Libraries is in the early stages of building a
preservation repository.  We are planning to use the LC PREMIS in METS
guidelines for structuring our SIP, but we're looking for some guidance
in choosing the appropriate level-the intellectual entity or
representation-at which to structure the METS record, particularly in
the AIP.  Our identifier and file-naming scheme is built around the
intellectual entity, so we're leaning towards an intellectual
entity-level METS record for the SIP, but we can also see advantages of
archiving METS records at the representation level.  Since we are
planning to archive only master files, not delivery, we currently have
only one representation per intellectual entity in most cases.  Looking
forward, however, we need to allow room for file migrations and
recaptures as additional representations.

If you have implemented or are planning to implement PREMIS in METS, I
would love to hear your thoughts on the following:

1) At which level do you structure your METS record for the SIP (and
AIP, if applicable)?

2) What considerations or constraints influenced your decision?

3) What issues have you encountered in your chosen method?

4) If modeling your SIP at the intellectual entity level, do you retain
the same PREMIS in METS structure for your AIP or do you use other
mechanisms for recording your PREMIS data?

5) If modeling your SIP and/or AIP at the intellectual entity level, how
do you identify representations?

6) How do you handle supplementary material such as transcripts or OCR
files? As separate representations or as part of the primary
representation?

Thanks,

Shawn Averkamp

Metadata Librarian

University of Alabama Libraries

Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0266

Experience the British Library online at http://www.bl.uk/

The British Library’s new interactive Annual Report and Accounts 2008/09 : http://www.bl.uk/knowledge

Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book. http://www.bl.uk/adoptabook

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the mailto:[log in to unmask] : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.

 Think before you print