Michelle,

We don't use <archref> at all.� Yale's BPGs (http://www.library.yale.edu/facc/bpgs.html) restrict links to the following six elements:

<extref> for linking out to external documents, including other finding aids.
<extptr> for linking to images to be included in the finding aid.
<ref> for internal document links where the text of the link is hard coded.
<ptr> for internal links where the text of the link is generated via the stylesheet.
<daogrp> + <dao> for linking to digital objects.

Mike