For the James Madison Carpenter project we've used entity references in the <DOCTYPE> statement of the 'master' document to call the 20-odd subdocuments. Unfortunately, Internet Explorer is the only browser that can handle this approach even though it's part of the XML spec. In practical terms I don't recommend it as the resulting 12MB EAD instance is unwieldy. For online presentation (www.hrionline.ac.uk/carpenter) we've had to tear the EAD apart and serve it using a database so even though there is EAD underneath the presentation it is neither recognizable nor accessible to the wider EAD universe.

I'm not sure what a better approach for our project would have been, and it's far too late now to change it, but maybe our experience can inform your decision.

Bob Walser