At 10:23 AM 03-01-2010 +0100, you wrote:
>In a labelography, I would expect another system of arrangement; in a general
>labelography the logical thing would be by graphical element, and the primary
>output would then be by label name, subdivided by label variant. And I mean
>by that as many label, color, font, dimension variants as possible

Hi George,

      Thanks for writing.  With no guidelines to follow, I have tried to do
this in a way that was logical to me.  The labels are in alphabetical order
by record company name.  For any record company that had releases in more
than one disc speed, I put them in chronological order: 78, LP and
45.  Almost all 78 releases were before any LP's, and many times, but not
all, 45's were released after the LP on which they appeared.  Most two or
three songs per side 7" EP's I have seen have a small LP sized hole and
play at 33-1/3, so they are listed with the LP's.  Within disc speed, I put
similar designs close together as they change font, color, and design
features, even when such positioning puts them out of catalog number
order.  I hope setting these criteria is not illogical to everybody else.

>We presently have no such work available.

      Please note that extensive searching has found two print references
actually called "Labelography", #14, #15 new to the Bibliography,

http://www.folklib.net/iindex/discog/labels/wi_labelography.shtml#Bibliography

      Plus, a new section has been added,

http://www.folklib.net/iindex/discog/labels/wi_labelography.shtml#LabelographyLinks

"Other on-line Labelographies".  These are sites that call themselves
"Labelography" (all but one of which, include label pictures), "Gallery" or
"Label Varieties (or Variations)".  I prefer not to use "Gallery" because
it has a long history of use in non-recording areas, like "shooting
gallery", photographs, paintings, the name of paper magazines, the upper
floors of a performance/movie theater/theatre, and "spectators at a golf or
tennis match", as well as Howdy Doody's "Peanut Gallery" I grew up with.

>There is also an equally indispensable (if you really want to know your
>artefacts) book by Adam Miller of New Zealand: "Stamps on Music. The World-
>wide Catalogue & Handbook of Stamps issued under Copyright Acts". It is so
>rare that it is not even listed in Nauck's resource catalogue.

      It is listed at,

http://www.78rpm.net.nz/mechcopy/Book/book.html

      As a former member in the 1980's of the American Topical Association,
back when I collected Computers and Cats on Stamps, and First Day Covers, I
saw a pamphlet like this at a COMPEX dealer in Chicago.  In hindsight now,
after I switched in 1991 my primary collecting focus from stamps to
Wisconsin recordings, I wish I had bought it then.  Before, during and
since the philatelic phase of my life, I have collected general Folk Music
and solo guitar recordings since 1958, thanks originally to WFMT and its
"Midnight Special", and now to WPR's "Simply Folk".

>The subject as defined by Doug is very narrow; I suspect that the records are
>so rare that finding variants is just not relevant.

     If you mean by rare, 1,000 or fewer of each title were released, then
many of the local labels listed are probably that "rare".  However, as
always, there are relevant exceptions, Cadet (Burnett, WI) has 5 different
variants of both LP and 45, and Cuca (Sauk City, WI) has 5 different LP,
and 7 different 45 variants, plus 3 variants of their sub-label American
also have "Cuca" printed under American's stylized "A" logo.

>  I think that he is perfectly entitled to use the term "labelography".

      Thank you so much for this affirmation of my use of the term.

      I hope members can track down the exact references mentioned on this
list where "Labelography" might have been used, before its use in the AVRL
... 1933, or 1936, or Gramophone, or American Record Guide, or American
Music Lover.  Such references are needed so that Wikipedia Administrators
don't immediately delete any "unsourced" labelography definition installed
there, such as the three part revised draft on my page,

http://www.folklib.net/index/discog/labels/wi_labelography.shtml
Doug Henkle - mailto:[log in to unmask]
P.O. Box 1447, Oshkosh, WI 54903-1447