At 11:15 AM 2010-03-18, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>I have had good results with my Olympus LS-10 but it is not the
>cheapest of the lot. About $400 street perhaps....I haven't priced
>one in a while.
>
>It has NOT been service free for me however. Just a good sound machine.

That is bad news. What happened? I have been considering an Olympus
LS-10 or LS-20 for its smaller size and possibly better sound (though
I think the LS-10 may have a low frequency rolloff.

I have bought two Zoom H2s -- one for me and one for my church. So
far, the only failure has been that some combination of my younger
son and another teen board operator managed to break the card slot
door -- it's now easier to change cards is the only result. We use it
to record all services and the MP3s of the sermons are a result of
the line-level inputs ( www.trinityaurora.ca ). We have been doing
this for the last year, changing the SDHC card every week--sometimes
more often. We have a pair of 8 GB cards (8 hours) that we cycle between.

My older son has been using my H2 and has not hurt it yet. He also
got it operating easily and figured it out easily with no instruction
from me and I don't think he opened the manual.

Here is a caution about the line-level inputs on the H2. We use a
separate knob on the main stereo output of the Yamaha mixer at the
church to set the input level for the Zoom.

http://richardhess.com/notes/2009/04/13/zoom-h-2-line-input/

Cheers,

Richard