From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

why, Steven?

> The first step for the 16" records is, if the box construction permits, move
> them and stand them on end rather than flat.
>
> Steve Smolian
> Smolian Sound Studios

----- as far as I see the problem, your view is definitely correct in the
long term, but in the instant, almost catastrophic situation, I would say it
is just one more complication.

If the move to an intermediate storage facility is to occur within the next
fortnight there is absolutely no time to get guidelines in place, let alone
implement them. We have an emergency, and emergency procedures have to be
applied. I do not see how even critical longstanding problems can be handled
before the move, unless addressing these issues means that the move will be
postponed.

----- the major problem is temperature and humidity variations and mechanical
shock during a move to an intermediate storage facility and then to the
permanent one. Do expect breakages and other problems.

Going to the media that query (1) was about: the transcription discs, there
seems to be 5 plywood crates. These are probably made for the job, and for
keeping horizontal. Specifically these I would propose to put in larger,
horizontal boxes, with insulating padding all around them. They will take up
more space, but temperature changes will be a lot slower and shocks will be
partially absorbed. If the plywood boxes are not filled and if there is an
insufficiency of padding inside the box, putting them on edge will most
probably damage the discs even more than keeping them horizontal. There does
not seem to be time to open the crates and inspect and re-package the
transcription discs.

----- longstanding problems cannot be addressed under the threat of an
imminent move. But professional staff with authority overseeing those who do
the schlepping may mitigate many problems. In particular make certain that
"this way up" is respected! It is not by carriers, such as DHL, UPS, etc.

See to it that the intermediate storage is not a place where overhead dry or
wet water pipes are installed and where water from an outdoor parking lot may
seep down or water from the sewer may rise. See to it that a truck with
content is not held up in cold weather. Take photographs of every section of
shelf that is emptied, of the inside of the truck at various stages of
fillling and during unloading. Use a unique and consecutive numbering system
for each loose item and enter numbers in one or more handheld warehouse
managing system interfaces. This permits you to keep track of the items.
Getting to learn these gadgets may well take up your time until the move.

I am sorry if I sound sceptical, but the time given to you ("---starting the
end of March, I learned this week!") has to be used wisely.

Kind regards,

George