-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Dick Spottswood
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Query regarding ownership of 78s - posted by
Mike Gray

One solution is to produce reissues for release in Canada or overseas,
where ownership claims expire after fifty yers.

ds

Mike Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
03/02/2010 03:59 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
[ARSCLIST] Query regarding ownership of 78s - posted by Mike Gray

I represent the Milken Archive of American Jewish Music, a non-profit
>> project dedicated to preserving and disseminating music of the American
>> Jewish experience. A summary is attached. The website is:
>> www.milkenarchive.org
>>
>> My question relates to historical recordings of Jewish music
(cantorial,
>> Klezmer, Yiddish, etc.) that were issued in the period 1905 - 1952 on
the
>> following labels:
>> Banner
>> Brunswick
>> Cardinal
>> Deluxe
>> Edison
>> Emerson
>> Pathe Actuelle
>> Sterling
>> Sun
>> United Hebrew Disc and Record Co.
>> Vocalion
>> Zon-O-Phone
>> The Milken Archive owns quality digital transfers of 60+ Jewish music
>> recordings that were originally issued on these labels, and the Archive
>> would like to commercially reissue these recordings in a legally
responsible
>> way. I have some documentation about the original records, matrix
numbers,
>> etc., and I have been attempting to make due diligence searches to find
the
>> current owners of these recordings. The online resources of the US
Copyright
>> Office, ARSC, and the CLIR Survey of Reissues of U.S. Recordings have
been
>> generally helpful. My specific question is whether the current
ownership
>> status of any/all of the twelve labels listed above is already known,
and -
>> if so - how I might access that information. Would you be able to
advise me,
>> or to guide me towards existing reference materials regarding the
ownership
>> status of these labels?
>>
>> I have already learned that the Edison recordings are in the public
domain.
>> But the task of researching the other labels is proving to be quite
>> daunting, especially for a non-profit organization with limited staff.
If it