Mike Gray wrote:
> The wax shown uses the Victor 'Flowed' process, which shows up on
> countless Victor recording sheets.  The conductor is Charles
> O'Connell, Victor's Red Seal Music Director; the players - at least
> the ones I can identify - are members of the old NBC Symphony (Frank
> Miller on 'cello, Mischa Mischakoff on violin); the engineer is most
> likely Fred Maisch.
> Mike Gray

What Victor ledgers show as "Flowed" is Western Electric's "Flow Coat"
system where a wedge of wax is melted onto a heated metal base shortly
before recording.  WE developed this originally for their Wide Range
Vertical Recording system because they found problems with shaving thick
wax planks.  This exposed mechanical stresses in the wax that resulted
in slight lateral displacement in the grooves that were concealed in
lateral recording but were noticeable in vertical grooving.

Victor did continue to use other forms of recording including lacquer,
thick wax cakes, and even optical film.

> Marie O'Connell wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xwe-Mt99Dw

This Ellington recording session for the Variety label owned by his
manager Irving Mills shows recording on a lacquer.  The bare center of
the discs shows that these discs were manufactured in the dipping
method, where the disc is dipped in the lacquer with a rubber spacer in
the center.

http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,30862122001_1918195,00.html

>>> recording shots at :17 & :34. looks like an aluminum disc.  -Franz

The film editor did not understand what that shot was showing, he used it because it was interesting.  Although an amplifier is shown being adjusted, the machine next to it is an acoustical PLAYER, playing an already recorded uncoated aluminum disc.  I suppose the recording turntable was on the other side of the amplifier, but any film of it didn't look "cool".  The scene in the hotel that follows is quite embarrassing.

Several different recording surfaces area shown here including a thick wax cake near the end of part i, and  flow coat in the middle of part 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khio359hthM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci8-Bsrf_wY&NR=1

Mike Biel [log in to unmask]