I was in New York yesterday and I also went. The hats and other items on the coffin were wonderful idea. I'm sure there will be many more fond and funny remembrances of Dave at the service and reception today.

Matthew Barton
Recorded Sound Section
Library of Congress

>>> Steve  Ramm <[log in to unmask]> 03/03/10 4:22 PM >>>
A friend of mine from Philly - who knew Dave through his WBAI  connection -
went to the viewing yesterday.

She sent me a brief report which included the following sentence (which i
know Dave would have LOVED!):

" On his casket there were both his summer & winter hats, along  with a
Mets doll and (most importantly) a Jerry Garcia doll. David had such a  normal
look on his face that the first thing I said to him was, "what the f#$*  did
you do, you idiot?" "

Steve Ramm