I don't believe this is common.  The issue is identifying location and we do
this in the same finding aid.  The disadvantages to you are the possibility
that the collection moves or changes location.   We may have only one cover
sheet on a finding aid that says Boxes 1-15 in Manuscript Collections; Boxes
16-18 in Oversize.    By separating finding aids, you are creating two
access points for a user.   My predecessor created separate "collections"
for different donations, so we have one collection that says 'Smith Family
Papers, Group 1' and another collection that says 'Smith Family Papers Group
II'    I can't tell you how often users and staff have missed a second or
third collection because it was 'separate' from the first collection.
I've tried to merge or avoid these situations of separating collections in
descriptions like finding aids.

Dean

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 7:12 AM, Justin Lee Tyler
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Hi all. I've been asked to make two (or more) separate finding aids for a
> single collection which is split into two (or more) locations (and by
> location, I mean different floors in the same building.)
>
> In other word, Stanton family papers might have two finding aids. One for
> the first half which is on level A, and one for the second half which is on
> level B... and so forth.
>
> 1) Is this common?
> and
> 2) What would be the pros and cons of doing this?
> and
> 3) Any additional thoughts?
>
> Let me know if I'm not being clear. :)
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> -----
> Justin Lee Tyler
> Cataloger / Special Collections and GovDocs
> Bibliographic Division
> Detroit Public Library

Dean DeBolt, University Librarian
Special Collections