Hi there

Again probably not answering Elizabeth's question, but as the developers behind the Encyclopedia of Australia Science (EOAS) just wanted to note that not using EAC to produce the web output at the moment, but it does factor in our plans.

We can generate EAC records
(based on an early draft of the new schema) from the relational database backend system and will be doing this to allow the National Library of Australia to harvest people and organisation data into their new Trove discovery service via an OAI-PMH Repository. We have already done this with another archival gateway, the Australian Women's Register. See Oodgeroo Noonuccal (1920 - 1993) - http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/IMP0082b.htm and the Trove entry - http://trove.nla.gov.au/people/571406?c=people. And if you'd like to see the EAC then here is a link to it in the OAI-Repository - http://idx.esrc.unimelb.edu.au/oai-AWAP/provider?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=ohrm_eac&identifier=IMP0082

So very excited about what you can do with EAC in terms of interoperability and integration of descriptive systems.

Plans in the future would be to replace the existing HTML generation with a generation to an XML format based on EAC (as then have greater flexibility in separating presentation and content layers and allow for structured searching). However we do find the relational model a good one for creating and managing this kind of information as it allows for relationships between entities and resources, and entities and other entities to be entered and managed in the one place but then viewable from both perspectives.

Regards
Joanne Evans

Jordon Steele wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite"> BPG for EAC?

Elizabeth,

This doesn’t directly answer your question, but I came across this example of EAC in practice—designing a kind of structured version of Wikipedia for creators:

http://www.eoas.info/biogs/P000683b.htm

The underlying EAC record can be found here:

https://wiki.nla.gov.au/display/peau/EAC

They might have used an older version of EAC than the one currently on the books, but it’s the same principle.

Best,

Jordon

Jordon Steele

Archivist