ZFS is indeed very useful, I posted some information about it
with links to the best resources I could find, if case anyone is
interested in some follow up reading:

http://e-records.chrisprom.com/?p=634

There was a bit of a legal cloud hanging over it at the time I
wrote this up, and I am not sure if that has been resolved, or
how the future of the product is affected by the takeover of Sun
by Oracle.

Chris Prom