From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Dean DeBolt
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 10:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: New Paper from OCLC Research and the RLG Partnership on EAD
Barriers

I think the biggest barrier, in small-staffed shops, is that the finding
aids need to be in fairly good shape to be entered into EAD.   We found
that many of our older collections have very incomplete or partial
finding aids while we stumbled on others that had nothing but just a
list of boxes.   All of these went into our
need-to-be-reprocessed-and-a-new-finding-aid-created pile ... and given
the staffing and demand here, I am not exuberant about that happening.
We do have most of our finding aids typed into electronic form and can
search and read them (e.g. think of the difference between class notes
and nicely-prepared outlines).

Dean

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM, LESLIE WILLIS <[log in to unmask]>