From: Encoded Archival Description List on behalf of Joanne Evans
Sent: Wed 3/3/2010 11:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: BPG for EAC?

Hi there

Again probably not answering Elizabeth's question, but as the developers
behind the Encyclopedia of Australia Science (EOAS) just wanted to note
that not using EAC to produce the web output at the moment, but it does
factor in our plans.

We can generate EAC records (based on an early draft of the new schema)
from the relational database backend system and will be doing this to
allow the National Library of Australia to harvest people and
organisation data into their new Trove discovery service via an OAI-PMH
Repository. We have already done this with another archival gateway, the
Australian Women's Register. See Oodgeroo Noonuccal (1920 - 1993) -
http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/IMP0082b.htm and the Trove entry -
http://trove.nla.gov.au/people/571406?c=people. And if you'd like to see
the EAC then here is a link to it in the OAI-Repository -
http://idx.esrc.unimelb.edu.au/oai-AWAP/provider?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=ohrm_eac&identifier=IMP0082

So very excited about what you can do with EAC in terms of
interoperability and integration of descriptive systems.

Plans in the future would be to replace the existing HTML generation
with a generation to an XML format based on EAC (as then have greater
flexibility in separating presentation and content layers and allow for
structured searching). However we do find the relational model a good
one for creating and managing this kind of information as it allows for
relationships between entities and resources, and entities and other
entities to be entered and managed in the one place but then viewable
from both perspectives.

Regards
Joanne Evans

--