I don't believe this is common.  The issue is identifying location and we do this in the same finding aid.  The disadvantages to you are the possibility that the collection moves or changes location.   We may have only one cover sheet on a finding aid that says Boxes 1-15 in Manuscript Collections; Boxes 16-18 in Oversize.    By separating finding aids, you are creating two access points for a user.   My predecessor created separate "collections" for different donations, so we have one collection that says 'Smith Family Papers, Group 1' and another collection that says 'Smith Family Papers Group II'    I can't tell you how often users and staff have missed a second or third collection because it was 'separate' from the first collection.    I've tried to merge or avoid these situations of separating collections in descriptions like finding aids.

Dean