Why not make an intellectual finding which integrates the physically separated records. It will do a disservice to the user if they have to go through two finding aids. With the wonders of electronics you can also produce a "shelf list" so you can see what's in each of the locations.

Prudence K. Backman
Principal Archivist, Access Services
Archival Services
New York State Archives
9D78 Cultural Education Center
Albany, NY 12230
518-408-1414
FAX: 518-486-1647

>>> Ellen Chapman <[log in to unmask]> 3/11/2010 2:19 PM >>>
I agree with the others' reasons for not doing this. Another problem is
that inevitably boxes will be moved. It may not for a long time, but I
would imagine very few repositories have never shifted collection
locations.