From: Encoded Archival Description List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Aikens, Barbara
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Call for Contributions to SAA Presentation

Dear Colleagues,

You may recall that last fall I wrote the listserv asking about the development of really new and different online displays of  and search interfaces for EAD structured data - presentations that were really appropriate for the web environment, as opposed to more traditional online pdf and htm displays that resemble paper finding aids.

After some online discussions and comments, Jackie Dooley at RLG volunteered to pull together a SAA session and it was accepted.  The title is "Structured Data Is Essential for Effective Archival Description and Discovery:  True or False?"  Speakers are Michael Fox, Noah Huffman, and myself.   I had planned to focus my presentation on AAA's interface of linking all resources (catalog record, finding aid, Collections Online, digital images) via the creator, and present our prototypes for improved finding aid displays.  I also wanted to briefly discuss the new Smithsonian Collections Search Center.

As I think about the presentation more, though,  I thought it might be fun to also highlight the work of others in addition to the work we're doing at AAA.   I know that many of you have also been doing innovative work with online prototypes and search interfaces for EAD data.  This would be a good way to get information out there about a lot of projects on a national level, rather than just one or two.  So, if you think your work with EAD structured data is something different and interesting, and are interested in having your project mentioned, please let me know and we can talk.   I'm thinking perhaps one or two PP slides with a paragraph of narrative that I could read, as well as contact information.

Best,
Barb Aikens

Barbara D. Aikens

Chief, Collections Processing
Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution
Ph: 202-633-7941
email:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Mailing Address
Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution
PO Box 37012
Victor Bldg., Suite 2200, MRC 937
Washington, DC  20013-7012