Barbara salve.

There is an italian solution, all XML structured, project for the Archivio di
Stato di Lucca (ASLU)
The solution makes no use of Data base for items descriptions and permits
visualization of very large images via XLIMAGE software.
There is no other licence involved.
You can try  www.archiviodistatoinlucca.it

Best regards.
Giovanni Tartaglione