I think the biggest barrier, in small-staffed shops, is that the finding
aids need to be in fairly good shape to be entered into EAD.   We found that
many of our older collections have very incomplete or partial finding aids
while we stumbled on others that had nothing but just a list of boxes.   All
of these went into our need-to-be-reprocessed-and-a-new-finding-aid-created
pile ... and given the staffing and demand here, I am not exuberant about
that happening.    We do have most of our finding aids typed into electronic
form and can search and read them (e.g. think of the difference between
class notes and nicely-prepared outlines).

Dean

--
Dean DeBolt, University Librarian
Special Collections