-----Forwarded by George D Franchois/NBC/OS/DOI on 03/09/2010 10:46PM -----

Subject: DOI Library Park Ranger Speaker Series - "The Princeton Incident" - Tuesday, March 16th, 1:00 pm

Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free Department of the Interior Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures, entitled "The Princeton Incident," on Tuesday, March 16th from 1:00 - 1:45 pm in the Department of the Interior Library.

On a late February day in 1844, a long line of black carriages drew up to the wharf at the Washington Navy Yard and dropped off the city's social elite, nearly 400 ladies and gentlemen in elegant attire and ready to celebrate. Captain Robert F. Stockton of Princeton, New Jersey, had assembled the very cream of the capital, including President John Tyler, for a demonstration cruise on board the pride of the United States Navy, the steam frigate USS Princeton . Unfortunately, during the cruise just south of Washington, a large caliber gun with the interesting name of Peacemaker exploded near the breech upon firing. The explosion killed Tyler’s Secretary of State and the Secretary of the Navy. This incident was the young republic’s worst peacetime disaster.

Please join Ranger Brad Berger for an examination of the explosion aboard the Princeton on February 28, 1844. See how this tragedy, which killed or mortally wounded seven and injured about twenty people, would influence all those who witnessed the misfire and impact the future design and construction of Naval warships and weaponry.

All that are interested are invited.  The DOI Library is located in the Main Interior Building, located at 1849 C Street, NW, Room 1151 in Washington.  Space is limited so please contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] to let us know you will be coming.    For more information about future DOI Library Park Ranger Speaker Series programs, we encourage you to visit our Park Ranger Speaker Series website at http://library.doi.gov/programs/speaker/index.html .

We hope to see you here on March 16th!

George Franchois
Director
U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library