From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Culbertson, Rebecca
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 8:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] BSR/GMconsolidated

Colleagues-

Attached is the consolidated comments for the Vis Graphic Materials.  A couple things to note here:

1. I added the 007 for microforms, but am noting that this wasn't part of the original core for graphic materials.

2. Clip from an email from Dave today.  I have to confess that I still don't exactly understand how this would affect catalogers and whether we should change.
"VARIANT TITLES IN 246 FIELD:I want to bring up another issue, the alternative to use 246 indicators "13" when you don't want to use the more appropriate values.   To be more correct in MARC, I would like to change to using "1#" as the defaults if you don't use more appropriate values. "3" for "other" is defined as meaning none of the other values are appropriate.  This isn't true, there are values that are appropriate, usually, we're just not choosing to use them.  That is what value "#" means-- you are not specifying a type.
I realize this means changing the BOOK BSR, too, but it needs to be opened up again anyway because of other things it looks like we are making standard (e.g., 500 Source of title note *(if other than chief source)*; and 007 field for microform reproductions)"

I did include Dave's 246 1# in the chart, but does this mean 246 13 or no 246 13?

3. Note that the TG includes the 655 as A.  I think this is ok for all the AV formats-actually everything except Books at this point?  The text in their Labels and notes area is similar to the books BSR, but does allude to genre headings. I like it as is.

Becky

Rebecca Culbertson
Shared Cataloging Program
California Digital Library
Metadata Services Department
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, California 92093-0175
(858) 822-6415 (Phone)
(858) 822-0349 (Fax)
"If at first you don't succeed, change the rules"