From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of D. Brooking
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 2:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCTG1] Peter's translation suggestion

I am not sure if this makes a difference at this point or not, but the
assumption that if we have eliminated translations, we have eliminated
this issue is not true.

For example, a work that is originally in Russian, but two of
the editors are Ukrainian and their names are set up in Ukrainian
(romanized). You need to choose the *Ukrainian* macro to get the
correct Cyrillic, not the Russian. There may be many reasons the
authorized form of a name does not match the language of the resource
itself. The problem is much more frequent with translations, but by no
means unknown for non-translations.

We still may not want to figure out the solution to this, but we need to

be aware that it's not just translations vs. non-translations.

Diana Brooking             (206) 685-0389
Cataloging Librarian       (206) 685-8782 fax
Suzzallo Library           [log in to unmask]
University of Washington
Box 352900
Seattle WA  98195-2900