As I recall, the R. Crumb records were done on vinyl for LP cartridges
but recorded at 78 rpm, back when most turntables still had multiple speed settings.

J. Theakston

________________________________
From: Lou Judson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, April 4, 2010 1:07:55 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Pressing 78s today & Audio Research URL

You could start here - these guys put out 78s in the 70s, might still know where they did it:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Crumb_&_His_Cheap_Suit_Serenaders>

<L>
On Apr 4, 2010, at 9:57 AM, Malcolm Rockwell wrote:

Really? This is the first I've heard of this. Even though India is in the part of the world where the lac beetle lives, and thus closer to the source of shellac, I've never heard of a pressing plant, in India or anywhere else for that matter, still set up to make the biscuits to actually press shellac 78s. Not to mention having an actual working water heated press.
I've asked before on other lists whether a portable, one-off press was used in pressing plant audio labs c. 1935-40 for making single test pressings, possibly for cutter, stylus or new shellac formulation tests. I've never gotten an answer, but it seems likely that someone must have produced one.
Hmmm, I think I'll go for a troll through the Audio Record magazine archive today. Maybe I'll spot one there.
Here's the URL, just in case you may have missed the first posting here:
http://www.archive.org/details/audiorecord4552newyrich
Malcolm

*******