Hi, Shiffy,

I've done 3M, Brush, and Utah (Canadian) paper tape from the late-40s
and early 50s and none were as brittle as you described. In fact, all
of the tapes played very well. The Brush tapes benefited from the use
of the NAB Stereo Cartridge head (3 tracks) because the centre track
appeared about 100 mil, centred. Neither that nor the FT mono head
were ideal, as the FT mono head had 150 mil of DC-erased noise and
the NAB cart head was a bit less than half the track (43 mil).

If I get any more, I'll try and centre-up the Pacific Recorders
TOMCAT head that has an 82 mil right channel, moved up with a narrow
cue track below.

Cheers,

Richard