At 10:57 AM 2010-04-16, Mew, Peter wrote:
>Hi Ishumael
>This is not something I have done, I postulate it as an avenue for
>investigation
>I would guess the steps to be
>1. Play the recording into the computer via software that will
>create a text file, I'm sure Google will come up with several applications
>2. Correct those parts of the text that were not interpreted correctly
>3. have the computer read the text in an appropriate voice, male.
>female. child etc
>4. record the output of the computer
>5. replace by editing, those parts of the original recording that
>you wish to be disguised
>As far as I can see there would be no way to reverse this process,
>as the is no inflection or accent information in the intermediate text file
>I admit this is a time consuming method but would guarantee anonimity

Hi, Peter,

This is a very interesting solution. You can delete the words you
don't want re-said (or have the voice synthesizer say "bleep" "bleep"
which might be better) and then you have a text transcript (or maybe
that already exists) and the voice is totally anonymous but possibly boring.

However, the downside of this is that the emotion of the story
telling will be lost. Even if the voice is badly distorted, I suspect
the emotion of choking up and crying might come across.

We are going through a process of healing and reconciliation here in
Canada for Aboriginal Peoples who were mis-treated as children in
government-sponsored, but often church-run "Residential Schools". We
had a series of sermons at our church about this and one of the
things that kept being brought up is that on this continent, the
Aboriginal Peoples need to tell their story over and over in order to
come to grips with it. Stories and their telling are an important
part of the culture.

With that lesson in mind, a totally artificial-sounding telling of
the story might not be the same catharsis that the actual telling would be.

This is such an important and difficult task to do correctly. I wish
Ishumael the best of luck in this.

Regards,

Richard

PS for those who might be interested in our story, the sermons can be
found here
http://www.trinityaurora.ca/sermon_series_2010b.htm